Monday, April 14, 2014

March Bread

As I've mentioned before, I think it's important to not sugarcoat your life on the social media. So in order to live up to my own principles (which is hard) I'll post about my March bread adventure. I'm almost afraid to tell you what this was supposed to be. But here we go: I thought it would be fun to try to bake my own croissants. It appears that I have boundless optimism when it comes to cooking, baking etc. And there is absolutely no past experience to justify this optimism.

This is how I thought my croissants would look like...paper-thin, buttery, and light.

image from here

And this is what came out of the oven....

 
 
They don't look like croissants, they don't feel like croissants, and they don't really taste like croissants either. They taste nice, but not like croissants. So if you want to bake bread crescents with a slight taste of butter, here's the recipe:
 
Croissants:
(10-12)
 
25 g yeast
1½ dl milk
150 g flour
1½ dl milk
ca. 300 g flour
150 g butter
½ teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon sugar
125 g cold butter
1 egg
1. Warm the milk and pour over the yeast and whisk away.
2. Add 150 g of flour and whisk again. Leave the dough.
3. Warm the rest of the milk.
4. Crumble the butter in the rest of the flour and add milk, salt, and sugar.
5. Knead the two doughs together.
6. Leave the dough to rise somewhere cool for app. 3 hours.
7. Roll the dough into a rectangle on a surface sprinkled with flour.
8. Cut the butter into very thin slices and put them on one half of the rectangle.
9. Fold the dough over the butter and roll the dough into the original size again.
10. Fold and roll three times.
11. Finally, roll the dough until it is very thin. Cut into two rectangles. Cut each rectangle into 5-6 triangles.
12. Roll into crescents.
13. Put them on a baking sheet and leave them for 30 minutes.
14.  Brush with the whisked egg and bake them at 230° C for 15-20 minutes.
 

4 comments:

  1. You are doing so much better than me when it comes to baking Carina, my hat goes off to you, well done! Postcard is on it's way! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Jeanne. I'm looking forward to the postcard!

      Delete
  2. Thank you for making me smile this morning.

    ReplyDelete