Monday, February 10, 2014

January Bread

After a year of cakes and a year of cookies, I've decided to make 2014 a year of bread. Late as always, but here's my January bread: Nøddestollen.

They are my niece's favourite so I make them quite often. They taste really well and as a bonus, they fill your rooms with a wonderful smell!



Here's the recipe if you'd like to try:

Nøddestollen
12-15

100 g hazelnuts
20 g yeast
1 dl milk
3 eggs
1 tablespoon sugar
1,5 teaspoon salt
1  tablespoon vanilla sugar
150 g soft butter
400 g flour

+
30 g butter
2 tablespoon powder sugar
0,5 tablespoon vanilla sugar


Chop the hazelnuts into 'flour.'
Crumbl the yeast into a bowl.
Heat the milk until 40 degrees C and mix with the yeast.
Add eggs, sugar, salt, vanilla sugar, hazelnut flour and ¾ of the flour.
Knead dough in a mixer for at least 20 minutes at a slow speed.
Add the soft butter.
Add the rest of the flour if necessary. The dough must be greasy, but still possible to work with.
Put the dough on a table sprinkled with flour. Leave for 20 minutes.
Divide the dough into 90 g pieces. Leave for 5 minutes.
Form the dough into oblong buns.
Place them close to each other - almost touching - on a baking sheet covered with baking paper.
Cover them with a tea towel and leave them for 30 minutes.
Bake in a 190 degrees C hot oven until golden, app. 15-20 minutes.
Let them cool.
Melt the butter and leave until the whey 'sinks'.
Brush the bread/buns with the clear butter and sprinkle with the vanilla/powder sugar mix.
Serve with butter.

6 comments:

  1. Bread? You brave woman!

    This looks gorgeous - I love anything with hazelnuts!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm always a little scared when people compliment me for being brave when I had no idea I had to be:-D What have I gotten myself into?

      Delete
  2. Mmm. Bread with hazelnuts and vanilla sugar. Nice.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Brilliant plan Carina, bread! I am one of those people who buys a bread maker and then never uses it. Who sells it and then moves to a country where finding bread just the way I like it is nearly impossible. A conundrum.

    I guess there is alway making it by hand!

    You...inspire me! ;)

    xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you, Jeanne. I love bread, but usually buy instead of bake. I've heard some people find it meditative to bake. I'm counting on being very relaxed when the year is over!

    ReplyDelete